Famous for its beer gardens and opulent castles, Munich is set near the breathtaking Bavarian Alps and the glorious River Isar. This incredible city is not just all about its beer culture though. In fact, there are several other fun things to do in Munich – from modern architecture and rich culture to fine food and delicacies.
The city is always brimming with life, as the residents here are often found celebrating some festival or the other, and its Oktoberfest is one of the most popular festivals in the world!
I have compiled a comprehensive list of some of the most fun activities and thrilling things to do in Munich and divided them into various categories:
- Spectacular Parks and Gardens
- Popular Historical Sites and Attractions
- Museums and Aesthetic Art Galleries
- Quaint Shopping Avenues, Culinary Experiences and Other things to do in Munich
- Bustling Night Clubs, Cafes and Bars
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links at no extra cost to you.
Spectacular Parks and Gardens
- Visit the beautiful Olympiapark: Whether or not you are a keen fan of sports, your trip to Munich would be incomplete without a visit to the scenic Olympiapark, which was constructed in 1972 for the Summer Olympics. Stroll through the park with your loved ones and explore its breathtaking landscapes.
- Plan a picnic with your loved ones at Englischer Garten: Visit the beautiful and lush gardens that are termed as some of the world’s largest urban public parks. Go on a leisurely stroll, cycling tour or enjoy an adventurous surf in the river rapids, where an experienced surfer will provide you with the equipment and teach you how to surf like a boss (if you’ve booked a local one in advance)! This park hosts the popular Japanese Teahouse and Chinese Tower. Quidditch Tournaments also take place here, which makes it the perfect spot for Harry Potter fanatics!
- Explore the poetic Hofgarten Park: Enjoy the serene and peaceful setting of the lush Hofgarten Park near the Residenz, which is the finest garden, built by the royal dynasty themselves!
- Go on a voyage across Starnberger See: If you will be visiting Munich during the summer season, you can explore this beautiful lake by going on an adventurous boating trip!
- Go canoeing in the River Isar: Experience nature in its purest form by canoeing across the beautiful river that runs through the entire city of Munich.
Popular Historical Sites and Attractions
- Explore the town halls at Marienplatz: Walk down the crowded heart and the central square of the town, Marienplatz, which provides a beautiful contrast between the old and the new through the town halls. This place is the hub of transportation and features various shops, bars, and restaurants that become the center of attraction during the Christmas season!
- Watch the Glockenspiel show: Witness the astounding Glockenspiel show, where 32 fantastic life-size wooden figures come to life as soon as the bells ring. They present a play depicting two interesting and magical stories from the ancient times.
- Go on a free walking tour of the city: Tag along with a cheery and knowledgeable guide to explore the most popular sites and unveil the stories behind the intriguing ancient architectural structures. The tour is completely free – though you may need to tip the guides at the end of your tour.
- View the Grandeur at the Royal Residenz: Stroll through this prestigious castle and witness the amazing history of the royal culture dating back to four centuries. Explore the multiple courtyards, museums and the grand treasury situated in the Residenz- one of the top things to do in Munich!
- Experience the Magic of Nymphenburg Palace: Take an early morning trip to the beautiful and striking Nymphenburg Palace that was made for the Bavarian Electors as a summer residence. Relish the exquisite interior and enjoy a stroll through the beautiful garden and museum in the Palace.
- Feel enlightened at the Church of our Lady Munich: Whether you believe the tale behind the devil’s footprint or not, this church – being one of the largest and oldest in Munich – is worth going to either way because of its glorious interior. Climb to the top of the tower to experience a beautiful panoramic view of the city!
- Explore St Peter’s Church: St Peter’s Church in Munich is one of the oldest churches and a fantastic spot for visitors. If you want to experience an adrenaline rush, race to the top and catch sight of one of the most brilliant panoramic views of the city!
- Visit the Asam Church: Created by two brothers for their private use, this small church was later on opened to the public. It is a true work of craftsmanship and you wouldn’t want to miss out on seeing the church’s marvelous ceiling!
- Make beautiful memories at Neuschwanstein Castle: Don’t miss out on the chance to see this stunningly magical castle built by King Ludwig II in 1886. It is located 131 km from Munich, so you will have to catch a train to reach there or book a day tour from Munich! You can also hop onto a tour bus from Munich, though it may turn out to be a bit more expensive. Capture romantic photos and make beautiful memories with your loved ones!
- Visit the Hohenschwangau Castle: The childhood residence of King Ludwig II, this beautiful castle was built by his father and is located in a town that is 90 km from Munich. You can catch a train or go on a road trip to reach this beautiful castle. With its gothic style and opulence, it is a must-go-to attraction for the tourists!
- Dive into the beauty of Linderhof Palace: Go into the midst of the Alpine foothills in Bavaria and get mesmerized by the Linderhof Palace with its huge terraces and lush gardens unlike any other, which were built by King Ludwig II.
- Visit the Dachau Concentration Camp: Witness the brutal history of the city at the grim Dachau Concentration Camp, which was the first of its kind, and acted as a model for other camps. Learn about the camp’s dark past and find out how the ill-fated prisoners spent their lives.
- Visit the Weiße Rose Pavement Memorial: This memorial was built in the remembrance of two brave and altruistic siblings, who had protested against the Nazis and were active members of the resistance movement during their ruling period. It reminds us that the tiniest of things can have great impacts!
- See the drama unfold at Bayerische Staatsoper: Rated as one of the best Opera houses in the world, this place hosts outstanding shows and ballets to keep you entertained throughout the night!
- Take a dip in the Müllersche Volksbad indoor pool: Müllersche Volksbad is recognized as one of the most beautiful indoor pools in the entire area due to its magnificent design and structure.
- Hop onto a double-decker bus and enjoy magnificent views of the city: Go on a thrilling city tour on a luxurious double-decker bus that takes you from the Olympic Park to the Nymphenburg Palace. Book your tickets in advance and enjoy spectacular views of the city! You can hop out of the bus when your favorite destination arrives and explore the picturesque city at your own pace!
Museums and Art Galleries
- Learn about the history of luxurious cars at the BMW Museum: If your love for automobiles surpasses every other thing, you need to visit the BMW Museum and get immersed into the guided tour of the various vehicles, the history of manufacturing and design, and other interesting details in relation to the brand.
- Learn more about the scientific wonders at the Deutsches Museum: If you are amazed by the scientific wonders, you must pay a visit to the Deutsches Museum, which is considered the largest science and technology museum in the world. This place offers fun activities for kids and great historic artifacts for adults.
- Rent a luxury car in Munich – Drive your favorite luxury car – be it an Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche – on the Autobahn without any speed limits and fulfill your wildest car fantasies!
- Visit the Alte Pinakothek Art Museum: Being one of the oldest art galleries in the world, Alte Pinakothek displays the works of art that were created during the time span of the 14th to 18th century. This outstanding place features several masterpieces belonging to renowned artists including Leonardo, Raffael, Boucher, etc.
- View modern works of art at Neue Pinakothek and Pinakothek der Moderne: These two museums feature the most modern and unique collections of art that were created during the 19th century.
27. Check out the variety of artistic pieces at the Brandhorst Museum: This beautiful museum is famous for displaying versatile pieces of art by some of the most famous and widely acknowledged artists.
- Dive into the history of Egypt at the Egyptian Museum: If you’ve been wanting to experience something new and are tired of viewing the various works of art, take refuge in this incredible museum with internationally recognized historical masterpieces relating to the Egyptian art and culture.
Quaint Shopping Avenues, Culinary Experiences & Other Things to Do in Munich
- Dine in at the famous Hofbräuhaus Hall: Indulge into the perfect German experience by dining at the most famous and oldest beer hall. Tantalize your taste buds with their fancy beers and cocktails, and don’t forget to have their freshly baked pretzels that are a complete delight to the senses! Maybe you will even meet one of Bayern Munich’s players?!
- Shop and feast at Viktualienmarkt: This is a famous farmers’ market with an open-air environment that is ideal for anyone who loves to collect fresh produce like fruits, vegetables, unique herbs, spices, various cheeses, fish, meat, etc.
- Try out Munich’s best ice cream at Der Verrückte Eismacher: Have you ever tried beer-flavored ice cream? How about the gingerbread flavor? Der Verrückte Eismacher offers the most unique and exotic ice cream flavors that you’ll ever find! This, in my opinion, is one of the best things to do in Munich! Treat your taste buds to some of the most bizarre ice cream flavors!
- Play around with luxurious cars at the BMW Welt: Play with fancy vehicles and fulfill your car fantasies in this incredible place!
- Enjoy a savory dinner at the Ratskeller: Indulge your taste buds into the traditional delicacies of Munich and try out their world-famous sausages along with a variety of locally brewed beers that taste heavenly!
- Experience the thrill of indoor skydiving at FlyStation: Munich gives you the opportunity of experiencing the thrill of indoor skydiving by turning your dream into a reality. Book your tickets beforehand to experience skydiving like never before!
- Fulfill your football fantasies at Allianz Arena: If you are a great football fan and would love to see the hidden side of all the stardom, you must pay a visit to the gorgeous Allianz Arena. If you’re lucky and Bayern Munich plays at home while you’re there, that’s definitely a one-of-a-kind experience!
- Relive the history of football at the FC Bayern Museum: Experience the rich history and successes of the FC Bayern club at the museum and get yourself some great items and souvenirs from the museum shop.
- Go ziplining at the Olympic Stadium: Catch an adrenaline surge by jumping off the roof and ziplining for 200 meters in the Olympic Stadium whilst eying the beautiful picturesque view from above.
- Fulfill your surfing fantasies at Eisbach: Even though Munich is a landlocked country, nothing can break the spirits of the surfers seen riding the man-made waves at the Eisbach River. Join in and marvel at the skills and endurance of these surfers! Learn how to surf with a professional instructor, who will provide you with all the instructions and equipment needed to master this fun activity.
- Enjoy the beer festival at Oktoberfest: This is one of the biggest attractions and on the bucket list of many people worldwide. Prepare in advance for this beer festival because of the price hikes and an extremely large crowd of people.
- Watch hand-painted beauties at the Filmtheater Sendlinger Tor: The Filmtheater Sendlinger Tor is an amazing cinema that provides an excellent mix of the old and new with displays of marquee and film posters that are beautifully hand-painted.
- Catch a mystery film at the Cinema Filmtheater München: Quench your thirst of mystery with an early screening of an anonymous movie that hasn’t been released at the Cinema Filmtheater München.
- Try your luck at the Escape Room Games: If you are up for a change and want to try something unique, go for an exciting and adventurous game with your friends to the escape room, where you will be locked into a room and the only way to escape is through some clever tactics!
- Go on a photography tour with your loved ones: Let a professional handle your photographs and avail a customized photo session against the most beautiful backdrops in Munich. Get your portraits made from some of the award-winning photographers in Munich.
- Make reservations at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel: Enjoy a luxurious stay at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, with its awesome butler services and other pampering facilities like Turkish steam bath, a rooftop terrace, sauna rooms, etc. It is the perfect spot for sightseeing in Munich.
- Go on an exciting Beer Tour: If you are a beer lover, you cannot miss out on this one! Get to know more about the city’s beer culture and explore the various beer gardens in the city in a fun group.
- Find cheap deals at flea markets: Learn the art of bargaining and uncover some of the best deals in town at popular flea markets such as the Trabrennbahn Daglfing flea market!
- Splurge at Maximilianstraße: Go on an exciting shopping spree and purchase some of the most luxurious products from this famous street in Munich. Don’t forget to drop by those amazing cafes and try out a few delicacies of the city!
- Experience the elegance of Fünf Höfe: Even if you are not much of a shopper, head over to Fünf Höfe for a great outdoor experience. This place boasts a huge variety of shops that feature stunning architectural structures!
- Go on a romantic road trip with your soulmate: Hop into a car with your soulmate and explore the picture-perfect Romantic Road, which is a popular tourist destination, and boasts a huge variety of astounding castles, villages, and towns. Don’t forget to take a few snaps with your loved ones here!
- Learn about the art of filmmaking at the Bavaria Film Studios: Go on an exciting tour at the Bavaria Film Studios and explore the history of film-making in Munich. Uncover the greatest film production sites and learn interesting facts about the film industry!
- Go on an exciting Scavenger Hunt in the city: Follow the hidden clues and solve the riddles to explore the beautiful sites including the Old Town in a playful manner!
- Embark on an exhilarating 4-hour bike tour around the city: Enjoy the scenic views of the city and explore the beautiful parks, beer gardens and tourist sites with an expert guide!
- Visit Zeichen and Wunder – the two luckiest places in Munich: Explore magical sites including the Old Town and uncover the miraculous legends of the city. Unveil the story behind the miracle Madonna and her immaculate healing powers!
- Go on a mystic torch tour and dive into the medieval history: Looking to do something unique and different in Munich? Why not go on a medieval night watchman torch tour and learn interesting facts about the legends and medieval times!
- Embark on a mysterious illuminati tour and learn about the secret societies: Immerse yourselves into the illuminati world and uncover their dark secrets and occult mysteries! Explore their symbolic sites and the areas that are dominated by the secret societies!
Bustling Cafés, Night Clubs, and Bars
- Discover the vibrant nightlife and explore the illuminated city: Go on a thrilling night–tour across the city and view the scenic landscapes. Enjoy a delicious meal at Hofbräuhaus, the famous beer hall, and make beautiful memories with your loved ones at the Olympic Tower.
- Enjoy the view at Vorhoelzer Forum: This café is like no other, with a dreamy landscape and some great coffee! Vorhoelzer Forum is usually not so crowded, so you can unwind peacefully and enjoy your coffee in seclusion.
- Munch on some German pastries at Café Frischhut: This old and pretty little café located near Viktualienmarkt offers authentic and delightful Schmalznudels with an exquisite cup of coffee to entice your taste buds!
- Swing to some Jazz music at the Jazzbar Vogler: If you love old style music, this place will be perfect for you! Enjoy a drink and jazzy musical tones in a comfortable and warm environment with your loved ones.
- Enjoy the nightlife at Glockenbachviertel: Learn to pronounce the name of this place because this is where you’d want to go for a great range of bars and bistros. Choose from a huge variety of exotic drinks and make the best of your trip to Munich!
- Dance the night away at Club Milla: Looking to have some fun? Head over to Milla, which is a great club with a bar and live music ranging from jazz to hip-hop, rock, and Indie!
Munich is one of the most fascinating cities that everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime! With this huge list of fun activities and things to do in Munich, you will never run out of ideas!
Pin “61 Awesome Things To Do In Munich” for later:
If you’re traveling to Germany, these guides might be helpful for you as well:
- Hiking in Bavaria – Stunning Beauty Awaits You!
- 61 Awesome Things to Do In Munich
- 20+ Photos That Show How Surprisingly Beautiful Germany Is
- 41 Free Things To Do in Berlin
If you’re traveling around Switzerland, these other articles of mine will be helpful for you as well: